Friday, April 8, 2011

My Daddy... The Hero

To little (and big) girls everywhere our Daddy's are heros.  They don't need the super hero costume, super hero powers or fancy super hero names like Superman or Batman.  I remember being a little girl and always knowing my Daddy was larger than life.  A deep voice that could scare me straight when I had disobeyed, but gentle and comforting when I crawled up in the recliner to sit in his lap.  He protected me from harm, got me dressed for school countless mornings when I complained that I just felt too bad to possibly go to school and was there for every sporting event my sister and I were ever involved in (and that was a lot.)  Mama and Daddy both worked tirelessly to provide for us and give us the best life two girls could ever want.  He always lets us know how much he loves us, our Mama and his family.

Recently he became a hero to someone else.  An 'angel' as she describes him.  My Dad being the humble person he is only shared this story with a few people, family and a few friends.  He gave all the glory to God and knew that he was meant to be in that place at that time.  It was out of the ordinary for him to be on that road at that time in the morning, because it was later than usual.  He drove past and saw the lights in the creek, but he felt a pull and urging to turn around.  So he did.  He found this woman, screaming for help and he put all his fear aside and did just that...help.  The story mentions that the woman in the creek could not swim.  Well guess what, my Dad can't swim either, but his fear did not conquer his will to help save this woman.  Apparently the reporter that wrote this story attempted to contact my Dad, but him being ever so humble and not wanting to brag about what happened he just did not return the calls.  The story also does not mention that during the rescue attempt another passerby stopped and offered assistance.  Miracles happen every day and so many every day heros are out there doing good things all the time.  We just don't always hear about it because not everyone is looking for glory, recognition or 15 minutes of fame.  The link to the news story is here:  Local Man Helps Rescue Woman

This is for all the heros out there doing things both great and small to help one another and make it a better place to live for all of us!  And for my Mom who no doubt was the angel with my Daddy when he took that step to turn the car around.

Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.