Monday, June 27, 2011

HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

HOME.  They say that is where the heart is.  If that is the case my home will always be in NC.  

I just spent three weeks at home enjoying time with my family.  Recounting memories from my childhood and how blessed I was to grow up here.  Summer vacations spent waking up early (much to my dismay) to work in the garden picking peas, butterbeans and other home grown veggies.  Followed by more hours of work, shelling and preparing the food to go into the freezer to feed our family for the next year.  As we got older, we were sent to help out other local farmers work in the tobacco fields or on their produce farms (as did many of our friends.)  Yes, there were early mornings and hard work, but it was fun.  It shaped me into the woman that I am today.  I learned the value of hard work at an early age and I am so appreciative for the lesson.  There were also hours spent riding bikes, playing in the barn and hanging out with friends.  
Being back home brings back so many memories of times long gone.  Memories of my Grandparents who lived just next door.  Days spent swinging on their front porch, eating supper that Grandma so loved to cook for us, homemade ice cream on a hot summer evening.  Papa slipping me and my sister a dollar bill underneath the table as if no one knew what he was doing!  Memories of my Mom and how she loved us and always had time for us.  It was a time when things moved a little slower.  A little more laid back.  It still feels like that today.  Time passes slower in the country and I love being back home.  
A lot of things have changed since those days of my childhood.  Loved ones have passed and babies have been born.  I’ve moved around a lot since leaving home 15 years ago, but I always come back.  Home is always in my heart.  I have to admit, as a little girl I dreamed of life in the big city.  Hustling and bustling about.  Well, I’ve been there and done that!  I do love that I've had the opportunity to move around, live in different places and meet new people.  I am so thankful for my journey and how all of these experiences have impacted my life and me as a person.  But, no matter where I might live, deep down I know without a doubt - I am and always will be a country girl at heart!
I’m typing this on my flight back to Houston, TX and my life in the city, far away from the place I call home.  To my family I want to say that I miss you all everyday!  I love you all so much and cherish our visits together.  No matter where I am you are always in my heart.  Who knows, one of these days the Sanchez Family might get back to Carolina!  Until then just remember.... I’ll be home soon.  And for the record... you are welcome in TX anytime!

2 comments:

  1. Very well written, Kelly. So glad you were able to come home for a few weeks. Although I'm just up the road now between Benson and Raleigh, I always feel as though things do slow down for me when I go back "home" with Gramma. I don't have to hustle and worry. In the country, there's no need to fret, and you know you'll always be welcomed with a glass of sweet tea, a place to sit, and good conversation with people who truly love you. :)

    I enjoy your blogs... usually with a tissue in-hand. :)
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Melissa for stopping by to read the Blog! And yes... there were gallons of sweet tea enjoyed during my stay! ; )

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.