Thursday, June 30, 2011

RUNNING FROM THE STORM: LIFELONG FRIENDS - #2

I met Gina when I started dating her brother (my 1st high school boyfriend) so many moons ago.  Gina and shared a lot of good times together during high school.  She had such a fun spirit then and still does now.  Over the years we lost touch.  Thank goodness for Facebook!  Since catching up with her there we have kept in touch and up to date on one another's lives.

Many years ago I heard through the grapevine that Gina had taken up photography.  I was happy for her and a little jealous.  She was a photographer!  I loved taking pictures and secretly wished that I could be doing something so creative with my time.  Hearing Gina's story sparked a flame in me to consider, even if for just a moment, that I could do something like that too.  It was just the morale boost that I needed to realize that I really could do it.  I could pursue the dream and actually become a photographer.  Thank you Gina for sparking that flame in me!!

Over the past year I have had the wonderful pleasure of working side by side shooting with Gina.  On my visits back home to NC she has assisted in several portrait sessions.  She also gave of her time and amazing talent and 2nd shot with me at a wedding last October.  Gina has a great eye for capturing the moment.  It is always a blast working by her side with camera in hand.  Bouncing ideas off of one another and talking about the business.  Gina you are an amazing photographer and inspiration to me.

On this trip to NC I had the great honor to photograph Gina with her beautiful family!  I know how difficult it is to be on the other side of the lens, especially when you are really comfortable behind the lens!!  The Warren family made the 2 hour drive from their home to Ocean Isle Beach for the portrait session.  And much to our dismay and horror... the weather took a turn for the worse immediately following their arrival.  With no more than a minute to spare we made a mad dash for the beach (horrific clouds chasing us) and I shot like a mad woman!!  I was speechless and scared.  I knew that the 2 minutes of shooting could not possibly result in a portrait worthy photo.  We ran for the car just in time to avoid a complete soaking of rain.  The thunderstorm passed while our families ate pizza and home made ice cream.  And being the brave souls and serious photographers that we were, we went back out to the beach to shoot after the storm.  By this time I had a whole new set of problems... low light and a very quickly setting sun.  We had a blast and I did my best to capture a few precious moments of Gina, her husband Russ and their 3 amazing boys!  I was sweating bullets and thanking God that Gina knew exactly the challenge I was facing.

Thank you Warren Family for braving the elements with me!!  We will do a retake when I head back in September and hopefully the weather will cooperate this time.  It is a photo shoot I will never forget!

Here are just a few of the very few photos that I was able to capture during our beach adventure...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.